The British Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) has confirmed that photographer Paul Conroy was injured in an attack that killed a veteran Sunday Times journalist and a French photographer in Syria.
However, the photographer’s injuries are not believed to be life-threatening, separate sources have disclosed.
Conroy, a British freelance photographer, was reported to have been working with Marie Colvin, an award-winning Sunday Times correspondent who died when the house in which they were staying, in the city of Homs, was shelled.
Speaking at 4.15pm, an FCO spokesman told Amateur Photographer (AP): ‘We are aware that a British photographer, Paul Conroy, has been injured in the same attack that killed Marie Colvin and Rémi Ochlik this morning in Homs.
‘We are liaising with his employer, The Sunday Times, to work out what options might be available to us.’
The FCO declined to comment further.
AP understands that Conroy was hit in the leg during the attack.
It is thought that he is now at a hospital in Syria, having been moved from the area where the incident took place, with help from opposition forces.
Conroy, a seasoned war photographer and cameraman, is head of photography and film at Reflex TV.
He covered the capture and death of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi in Libya for The Sunday Times last year.
In 2011 Conroy was shortlisted, along with Marie Colvin, in the TV category of the Prix Bayeux-Calvados awards for their work in Libya.
Meanwhile, photo agency Eyevine has expressed its shock at reports that French photographer Rémi Ochlik lost his life in the same attack.
Picture credit: Rémi Ochlik/Eyevine/Bureau233
A spokesman for Eyevine, which represents Rémi’s work in the UK, said: ?He had won the 55th World Press Photo General News, 1st prize stories for one of his Battle for Libya images [see above].?
Rémi worked for French agency Bureau233.
Two other journalists, one French and the other American, were also reportedly wounded in the attack on the house, which was apparently serving as a makeshift media centre.